Existential Angst

My blog is to honor my father and children that have passed away as I search for meaning in their loss.

Friday, December 10, 2004

If I light a candle and then use the flame to light a second candle are the two flames the same? If I blow out the first flame and leave the second one to burn for an hour but then relight the first, are they the same flames that we started with an hour ago? Is the relight candle the same flame that started the first candle?

I have son, is he me? If I was cryogenically frozen until he turned my age and I was thawed at that moment so that we were the same age, am I still the man that fathered him? After being re-vitalized, am I even the same person I was or am I someone new?

The second set of questions seems easier to answer but if I think deeply about it, I can answer all of these questions, yes and no. The flames are not the same as they were a moment ago but they are not different. I am not the man I was 10 minutes ago let alone 10 years ago. No matter what happens in the space of time or what that time period is, we are all not the same and we are not different in our time continuum.

So what is it about us that remain the same from moment to moment? My memories changes, my bodies cells are dying and new ones are talking there place every minute of the day. I have heard that every 7 years we have completely changed all of the materials of our body so quite literally we are new people about every 7 years. I know I am the same but I’m different as well. I’ll have to think about it some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home