Existential Angst

My blog is to honor my father and children that have passed away as I search for meaning in their loss.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Where do Dreams come from?

I studied dreams in college as I was getting my degree in psychology in books by C. G. Jung and Sigmund Freud. I looked that dreams as phenomenon with a certain fascination as one might look into a fish tank and wonder what the fish are thinking. My dreams were scary, fun and occasionally prophetic with what we call Déjà vu.

Before my Dad died of lung cancer, he asked me some questions about my time in college. He asked me about certain events of a particular day, the last day of my freshman year. He said to me that he had several dreams of me walking in the ornamental garden outside of my dorm but that my thinking wasn’t right and that I was terribly lonely and emotionally distraught. He also described how I was with several of my friends and they were not thinking right and we all went in to the woods behind the garden, past the shed and into woods I had not been in before. I agreed that this was true and I recognized that he knew what was going on at that moment for me and he went on to say that I didn’t like what I saw and that I felt that needed to come home. I agreed again. Then he leaned forward in his chair and said, “as I draw closer, I see these things in my dreams” with his hand in front of his face.

There is important information that I need to share with you to understand the significance of what he said. First, he never went into the ornamental garden let alone the shed behind it. He did not know that I had taken LSD that day for the first time and that it made me not “think right”. I was terribly lonely at that time because I couldn’t get a girl friend and my room mate had abandoned me months before for his girl friend so that I was completely alone. I remember that I met a group of friends that had also dropped acid at the same time as me in the garden. There was a moment when I was sure that I heard “death” and felt that I needed to move out of the garden where we went past the shed and into the forest behind it. I didn’t like the idea of being in a wood that I didn’t know so I took off on my own to get back to the dorm. At that time the LSD was strongly affecting me and I felt like “death” was right behind me and I was scared and wished I was home. I joined up with some friends and felt better and enjoyed the rest of my “trip” and haven’t really thought much about it since then.

I’m not advocating the use of drugs in any way, many bad things in my life came from drugs. I used LSD several more times after this event and they didn’t have any significant meaning so there is no reason for me to believe that they “helped” in this experience at all.

This conversation with my dad leaded me to some very fundamental questions.

1. How could he see my experience that happened 12 years ago and why that particular experience?
2. What caused him to dream this at all, is there a consciousness that decided to show this to him?
3. Was I as close to death as he was and somehow we crossed paths in a different dimension? Are there other dimensions that control what we dream?

I reject any argument that would suggest that this is a coincidence or that it is fabricated by my dad. He had no knowledge of any of these events yet he knew the date it happened and the places it occurred in that he never saw personally and he knew how I felt, most importantly, which he couldn’t have known because we were not in contact with each other at the time. Most importantly, why would he tell me a lie as he was dying, there is no motivation for such an action. I was there and he wanted to tell me something honest and true, he didn’t understand the dreams he was having and wanted me to verify them to be as true as they seemed to him. That was his motivation for telling me his dreams period. I, of course, need to come to grips with what this means in terms of the universe we live in.

12 Comments:

Blogger Abhi said...

Very interesting!

12/04/2004 07:34:00 PM  
Anonymous canna said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My seeds Site

11/14/2005 03:56:00 AM  
Anonymous dream dictionary said...

Hi All_Bre it never ceases to amaze me how creative people are, especailly the young ones, gives me hope for the future. Anyway I was looking for information on dream and landed on your page. I was looking more for dream so Where do Dreams come from? wasn't an exact match but I enjoyed reading your posts. Take Care. I'll bookmark your blog for future.

11/28/2005 06:52:00 PM  
Anonymous hypnotherapy said...

How to Make Your Dreams Come True

Of course not all dreams are pleasant and making them come true can be worse than being trapped inside a cosole horror game.

But some dreams are produced by our deeper minds and are our inner-most desires, often disguised in some strange way.

However, there is another kind of dream and that is the kind we are consciously aware of and we have them during the daylight hourse and are often just fleeting thoughts.

You know the kind. "I wish I was on a world cruise enjoying myself rather than being stuck here in the factory or behind a desk." Yes, that's also a dream because it has it is a desire that has sirfaced into our conscious minds and is something we wish for at an unconscious level.

Of course, making those kind of dreams come true is more than not virtually impossible. For example, to wish to win the lottery may never become reality in this lifetime.

However, some dreams can become reality as so many graduates of my Hypnotherapy Course have discovered.

I decided three years ago to give thousands of 'dreamers' the opportunity to fullfill their dreams and ebcome a therapist. So many people want to help other people overcome their illnesses and mental blockages to life that their only stumbling block was the cost of training. I know of hypnotherapy courses costing as much as £7,000 (more than $11,000) and training in other forms of Alternative Medicine costing as much. To become a Doctor (M.D.) can cost as much as the purchase of a house.

So, with my teeth firmly gritted together, and a determination I have no known for years, I set the goal to help at least a thousand people make their dreams come true by reducing the cost of Hypnotherapy Training so it was within the reach of almost anyone in the World.

I passed that goal having had more than 1,400 students enrol and over 800 graduate.

So in helping others make their dreams come true, I made my own dream come true and at the age of sixty-nine years of age, I am proud of that.

Why don't you take a look at what I mean at: htttp:/www.dreams2reality.co.uk

Thank you for reading this,

Robert Shields

11/30/2005 08:50:00 AM  
Anonymous hypnosis training said...

How to Make Your Dreams Come True

Of course not all dreams are pleasant and making them come true can be worse than being trapped inside a cosole horror game.

But some dreams are produced by our deeper minds and are our inner-most desires, often disguised in some strange way.

However, there is another kind of dream and that is the kind we are consciously aware of and we have them during the daylight hourse and are often just fleeting thoughts.

You know the kind. "I wish I was on a world cruise enjoying myself rather than being stuck here in the factory or behind a desk." Yes, that's also a dream because it has it is a desire that has sirfaced into our conscious minds and is something we wish for at an unconscious level.

Of course, making those kind of dreams come true is more than not virtually impossible. For example, to wish to win the lottery may never become reality in this lifetime.

However, some dreams can become reality as so many graduates of my Hypnotherapy Course have discovered.

I decided three years ago to give thousands of 'dreamers' the opportunity to fullfill their dreams and ebcome a therapist. So many people want to help other people overcome their illnesses and mental blockages to life that their only stumbling block was the cost of training. I know of hypnotherapy courses costing as much as £7,000 (more than $11,000) and training in other forms of Alternative Medicine costing as much. To become a Doctor (M.D.) can cost as much as the purchase of a house.

So, with my teeth firmly gritted together, and a determination I have no known for years, I set the goal to help at least a thousand people make their dreams come true by reducing the cost of Hypnotherapy Training so it was within the reach of almost anyone in the World.

I passed that goal having had more than 1,400 students enrol and over 800 graduate.

So in helping others make their dreams come true, I made my own dream come true and at the age of sixty-nine years of age, I am proud of that.

Why don't you take a look at what I mean at: htttp:/www.dreams2reality.co.uk

Thank you for reading this,

Robert Shields

12/03/2005 04:36:00 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Fruitful blog. I favor your site and I shall
return to it! I go to sites like this when I get the
chance, and find blog just like this.
I will give you access to jump to my car charity georgia blog.

12/17/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Anonymous dream said...

Well All_Bre certainly interesting stuff. I love surfing Blogs! I was looking for dreams stuff and I landed on your page. I was looking more for dreams
info, but was interested in your posts. Keep it up Take care.

12/28/2005 08:46:00 PM  
Anonymous dream dictionary said...

All_Bre How you doing? While searching for dream interpretation well just surfing really. I found your blog. I was into dream interpretation or looking for such things but I'm so tired Ican't stay awake any longer. now I'm not making any sense, see ya.! ZZZZzzzzz

1/21/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger The Robert Shields College said...

Make Your Dream Come True - I Did!

Of course not all dreams are pleasant and making them come true can be worse than being trapped inside a console horror game.

But some dreams are produced by our deeper minds and are our inner-most desires, often disguised in some strange way.

However, there is another kind of dream and that is the kind we are consciously aware of and we have them during the daylight hours and are often just fleeting thoughts.

You know the kind. "I wish I was on a world cruise enjoying myself rather than being stuck here in the factory or behind a desk." Yes, that's also a dream because it has it is a desire that has surfaced into our conscious minds and is something we wish for at an unconscious level.

Of course, making those kind of dreams come true is more than not virtually impossible. For example, to wish to win the lottery may never become reality in this lifetime.

However, some dreams can become reality as so many graduates of my Hypnotherapy Course have discovered.

I decided three years ago to give thousands of 'dreamers' the opportunity to fulfil their dreams and become a therapist. So many people want to help other people overcome their illnesses and mental blockages to life that their only stumbling block was the cost of training. I know of hypnotherapy courses costing as much as £7,000 (more than $11,000) and training in other forms of Alternative Medicine costing as much. To become a Doctor (M.D.) can cost as much as the purchase of a house.

So, with my teeth firmly gritted together, and a determination I have no known for years, I set the goal to help at least a thousand people make their dreams come true by reducing the cost of Hypnotherapy Training so it was within the reach of almost anyone in the World.

I passed that goal having had more than 1,700 students enrol and over 800 of whom have graduated.

So in helping others make their dreams come true, I made my own dream come true and at the age of sixty-nine years of age, I am proud of that.

Why don't you take a look at what I mean at: http://www.hypnotherapy-training.info

Or visit the following forum: http://www.hypnotherapy-training.info/forum.htm

Thank you for reading this,

Robert Shields

2/14/2006 07:12:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Shields said...

Although using hypnosis is not the right thing to do with everyone who has a psychological problem, it is, never-the-less, sometimes effective where other approaches have failed.

Although most hypnotherapy trainers make the use of hypnosis sound mysterious, the simple truth is that the application of hypnosis is simple.

There are hundreds of good books on the market that will teach you how to hypnotize, but, and this is the problem, those books do not show you how to deal with the many problems hypnosis can help you with.

In the most simple terms, the mind consists of the conscious part that is known to us and the unconscious part that is largely unknown to us.

The conscious part is very tiny and much weaker in comparison and in a war between the conscious and the unconscious, the conscious may win battles, but the war will always be won by the unconscious.

That is why most of our psychological problems are so difficult to deal with.

Many smokers, for example, would like to stop smoking and save themselves some money and be healthier, but their efforts to stop are mostly temporary (battles won) and they continue to smoke (the war is won by the unconscious) regardless of the consequences.

Hypnotherapy is a fascinating subject and well worth studying.

Why not pay a quick visit to my site at: http://www.hypnotherapy-training.info and learn more.

Thank you for reading my contribution.

Robert Shields

2/16/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Anonymous dream said...

All_Bre How you doing? While searching for dream dictionary well just surfing really. I found your blog. I was into dream dictionary or looking for such things but I'm so tired Ican't stay awake any longer. now I'm not making any sense, see ya.! ZZZZzzzzz

4/18/2006 02:38:00 AM  
Blogger Stress Help said...

Wow! This is an amazing blog! :-) You might be interested in my Self Hypnosis blog which has basic info about hypnosis (including uses and health benefits). If you get a chance, drop by and let me know what you think.

9/26/2006 03:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home